Father’s Day this year falls on Sunday, the 20th of June. The origins of Father’s Day are full of intrigue. A West Virginian church and the congregation held the first event specifically for fathers on July 5, 1908, in reverence for men who had previously passed in a local mining accident. The first true Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington. Sonora Smart Dobb, one of six children, drummed of support in a very grassroots way. Smart Dobbs visited local churches, shopkeepers, and government officials until Washington state became the first state in the nation to celebrate. In 1972, sixty years afterward, the day of dads became a national holiday.
Through many generations, families have celebrated this special holiday in many different ways. Take a look at some new ideas for your own family this year:
- Fishing - A classic Father’s Day activity, fishing is a simple way to get outside with the family. Grab some bait, pick a nice spot, and throw out a line. Best for school-age and older children, for the water aspect. But when done safely, fishing can become a fun tradition for all parties involved. (Check out Family Fishing Trip - 10 Tips to Keep It Fun)
- Bike Ride - Take advantage of the amazing weather and take dad on a bike ride. You can take lunch and stop along the trail for a picnic. Here is a list of local parks that have bike trails.
- Get Outdoors Challenge - Use the fun possible prizes as an excuse to get out in the great sunlight. Download your game board here.
- FXBG Fun - Get more information about how to play here.
- Take a day trip - Here are some fun day trips to try.
- Breakfast in Bed - Breakfast in Bed is a favorite by all. Whether that be breakfast first in the morning, or a noon brunch. Feel free to check out some recipes here.
- Play a board game - here's a list of fun family board games to try.
- Wilderness Presidental Resort - Take dad for a day of fun in nature. Challenge him to a Ropes Course, boat race, a game of mini-golf, or relax by the lake for a picnic and take a swim in a pool! They are open to the public for day activities or you can rent an RV or cabin and stay the night.
- Reclaim Arcade - Take dad on in an all-you-can play arcade! He'll love the retro-modern venue with pin-ball and 50+ arcade games. Use code Macaroni to save 20% off your tickets!
- Rappahannock Railroad Museum - Free and open on Saturday from 9 to noon. Visit the museum, check out the train cars and take a ride on the Little Yellow Train!
- Fun Land of Fredericksburg - Whose dad doesn't want to take a spin on the area's largest go-cart track? Or perhaps he'd prefer a game of duckpin bowling, mini-golf, batting cage, arcade games or laser tag? You can do it all!
- Visit the Farmer's Market - let dad pick out some fresh produce and make him a fun dinner.
- Go Out To Eat - We have lots of great local places to eat, plus here's a list of restaurants where Kids Eat Free!
Looking for a gift idea for dad?
- Here are some fun crafts, printable cards and coupon books. We also have a fun DadLibs you can play with dad!
- Or perhaps he'd enjoy a car detail? Visit @The Car Wash and Use code MCK21 to save 10% of your detail service!
However your family celebrates Father’s Day, may it be a fun-memory-making day.